Search Me

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Balaclavas

My husband has several male friends, who every time they see me knitting a scarf exclaim in disgust, "Vanessa, what are you bloody knitting another scarf for? Why don't you knit something useful, like a balaclava?"

One of those friends is having a 40th soon, and I would dearly love to knit him "something bloody useful".

My idea is a balaclava as worn by Sir Douglas Mawson and shown here.

I've just got to work out how to do it.

BTW, I think Douglas Mawson looked hot in his balaclava, despite this comment at the bottom of that link page:

"p.s. Douglas Mawson might have been a splendid fellow and absolutely first rate, but I bet he regretted having that picture taken of him in the balaclava - I mean it's the sort you'd send to your aunt Ethel to prove you really are wearing what she knitted for you."

Bless Aunt Ethel.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for following me! Hilarious quote about Mawson, but very strange that men think balaclavas are more useful than scarves. As far as I can see there's only one use for a balaclava but zillions for a scarf!
    And great idea re the bowel cancer fund raiser, a few years ago at my local festival my sister and I spotted a dubious knitted object among the items for sale at the CWA stall ... it looked like a brown log... needless to say we christened it "the knitted poo" much like Mr Hanky the Christmas Poo from South Park. It was only $3, I should have bought it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ever find a pattern for Dougie's balaclava? My husband today announced that he would really like one just like that!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments no longer welcome.